This story was my character writing. It
is a modern Cinderella story. This story goes along with the plot of the Disney
Cinderella we all know but it has a few twists. In this writing I focused on
the specific part where she is getting ready, going, and then leaving the dance
rather than the whole Cinderella story. I wrote the character story from the
view of Cinderella and Mary Claire wrote it from the view of Charming.
A Modern
Cinderella Story
(Cinderella’s
perspective)
All I could think about was getting my
chores done. I wanted so badly to go to the governor’s party tonight. The
governor’s son, Charming, is supposed to find a girl he wants to marry at this
party. Charming was a tall strong handsome man. He had blue eyes and light
brown hair. I wasn’t really hoping to fall in love with Charming, I didn’t want
my expectations that high, but I was hoping to find a boyfriend or a guy to at
least to talk to.I was standing in our small well-kept house, thanks to me,
with all my cleaning supplies. I couldn’t stay focused on cleaning today all I
could do is stand there thinking about the party. I was finally finishing up my
last window in the house. Everything from my evil step sister’s room to the
basement had to be immaculate. I picked up all my cleaning supplies, put them
away and headed to my room. I was ready to get in the shower and at last get
ready for the party tonight. I wasn’t even sure I was going to actually be able
to go; it all depended on my god mother. In my mind it was worth a shot, I
didn’t care if I got caught I wanted to at least try and go. After my warm
steamy shower I did my hair and makeup it wasn’t perfect but it’s all I could
do myself. Next I put on the only somewhat formal dress I had. It was my
stepsister dress she wore to another party many years ago.It was to short and
had a stain on the right arm. But in my mind I was at least in a dress and
hopefully going to the party. I stopped expecting anything when I was very
young; my step mom and evil step sisters never bothered with me.
My step mom and sisters were just about
to leave when I heard…
“I have more laundry for you!” hollered
my stepmom. “You will have plenty of time to do it while you sit here alone and
we are having fun at the party” she rudely added.
That was the last thing I wanted to
hear. This would take more time delaying when I would get to the dance. This
whole time I was hoping my godmother would make it here to help me out. She was
going to help sneak me into the party it wasn’t much, but it was what I needed.
I still wasn’t completely ready but I had finished with the laundry. Ding!
Ding!The doorbell rang. OhhNoo! I wasn’t even close to being ready.I ran down
the hard wood stairs of the attic and flung open the front door excited to see
my godmother. She was the kind of woman that cared about everyone. She loved
helping out and doing anything she could to help. She always wore a nice dress
of some kind and her hair in a bun. To my surprise she
was holding a large bag on a hanger and had a shoe box in her other hand.
“What is that?” I asked shocked.
“I figured you would need something
nice to wear. Look at yourself!” she replied with a smirk.
I changed out of the ratty old dress I
had on and put on the beautiful red dress, tall silver heels, and a silver
sparkly mask she brought me. Thankfully the party was a masquerade. This would
help me stay hidden from my stepmom and step sisters. My hair was in long loose
curls with a silver clip pinning back my bangs. It was the most beautiful thing
I had ever seen. I loved the way my whole outfit sparkled in the light. I now
felt beautiful and ready to go. We left the house and moments later arrived at
the party. I felt like such a rebel leaving the house without permission. I was
so nervous. What if my step sister or step mom finds out I’m here? What if I
don’t find a guy?Every possible thought was running through my mind.I had
almost convinced myself not to walk in to the party but my godmother encouraged
me to go on and try it out. I knew how much I wanted to go to this party and
figured it was worth the risk. I walked up the marble stairs, concentrating
hard on not falling in these six inch heels, into the governor’svery large
mansion. There were so many people I didn’t know what to do. I suddenly felt
very awkward. I arrived at the top of the stairs and stood there looking into
the ballroom. There were crystal chandeliers hanging from the ceiling the size
of my house. There were long tables full of every type of food you could
imagine. There were so many people but there was one person that stood out; he
was coming from the middle of the room walking straight toward me. At least I
hoped he was walking toward me. It was Charming. Our eyes met for a quick
second before I quickly looked away not expecting that.
He was now in front of me. He
introduced himself…
“Hi I’m Charming.” His dreamy voice
said.
“H-H-H-ii” I replied in the most
awkward way possible.
“Would you like to dance?” he asked to
my surprise. He still wanted to be with me even after my awkward hello, I said
to myself. He pulled me away and asked if I wanted to dance. At first I felt
very awkward; I was tripping over myself and concentrating pretty hard on not
stepping on his feet. As the night went on my dancing improved and I managed
not to see my stepmom or stepsisters once.At the end of the night we walked off
into the backyard and went against the rules of the party. We both took off are
masks so we could see each other’s faces.
“You’re beautiful,” he said sweetly. I
smiled back at him trying not to act to excited. He was even better looking
than I remembered. Being with him was no longer awkward, I was able to be
myself around him and have fun. That night was the best night I’d had in a long
time. When the party was over I went home very happy with how the night had
played out. I couldn’t keep myself from smiling. I rushed home suddenly
worried, hoping to make it home before my stepsister and stepmom. I was going
to be in so much trouble if they found out I had been there. Luckily I made it
home just before my step mom and sisters. I quickly changed out of my dress,
into the clothes I had been doing my chores in, and hid my dress, shoes, and
mask, in the bottom of my closet so no one would know what I had done that
night.
As they walked in the door I was
hollered “Hello. How was the party?”
“Ehh it was ok.”
“It wasn’t that much fun.”
“Some girl was with charming all night
and they were having so much fun, I just wished it was me.” They all muttered
something different about the party and how they wish it could have been
better.
Later that night I heard Charming’s
voice. Thinking I was just hearing things I walked down from the attic to see
my step mom pushing him out the door.
“What was that for?” I asked trying not
to show my excitement.
“It was just the governor’s son he was
looking for some girl who wore a red dress last night. He said that girl was
his princess. She left her phone at the party. But, it wasn’t one of ours
sadly.” She said wishing that phone belonged to one of them.
It took everything in me not to run out
the door and scream his name. That was my phone. I left it at the party. I am
the one in the red dress he is looking for. I’m his princess.
I chose my Character writing. I chose
this because it is one of my stories I really enjoyed writing. One of my
favorite things about my writing was the ending. The ending is shocking and
different then you would expect. I represent character well in this piece
because I used lots inner thoughts and dialogue. You really get to know
Cinderella; what she thinks, does, and acts like. You also learn about her
family and how she acts with others. All of these things are key parts of
having good character in your story. This is how and why I incorporated
character in my story.
Love this piece, and the modern take on it! I may be a tad bias though since I did write the other side of it. Thought you did a fantastic job of developing the character.
ReplyDelete